Alfie’s Big Wish, by David Hardy
About: This is a sweet little kids’ tale, about loneliness and finding a friend, set within the context of nomadic Aboriginal culture. David Hardy is Aboriginal, and also Disney-animation-trained, so the illustrations have that 2D cartoon cuteness and impishness to them that really works. At first I had misgivings about Disneyfying Aboriginal folk, but then I figured Disney does that to everyone so I’d probably rather have the representation than the lack of it. And it’s grown on me.
- Lead is POC, Aboriginal, traditional culture
- Emotionally expressive illustrations
- Australian landscape and colours
- Rhyming text, limited number of words on a page for early readers.
- Author/illustrator is Aboriginal