Written by Sally Morgan and Blaze Kwaymullina, illustrated by Sally Morgan.
About: A simple little child’s tale with a little bit of silly to it. It’s not an Aboriginal fable or Dreamtime myth, or a morality tale of any type, just a story with animals and stars and the Moon in it. There’s not too much text on any one page, or at all, just enough to lay out the story in support of Morgan’s glorious-as-always illustrations. And what text there is is simple enough that a beginner reader can attempt to make their way through it with some help.
- An Aboriginal take on the typical genre of animal and nature characters
- Authors and illustrator are both Aboriginal
- It’s not a traditional myth or legend or tale (I fully support the idea that Indigenous people are more than just what they were at the point of colonisation and that they don’t need to stay in that box).
- Text is suitable for an early reader with assistance.
- The animals encountered are Australian.