About: Saffioti retells one of her family’s stories, of her mother-as-a-young-girl entering the school’s fancy dress parade. This is one of those books that reminds you that history isn’t just about the big things, but also about the little things, the things that make us family and town and nation. The illustrations are warm and in an Australian palette, easily bringing the emotions of each page to life.
- True story and historical event, retold by someone with a direct connection to the event
- Aboriginal author and illustrator
- A small event with a big impact, easy to empathise with
- Lead character is female, Aboriginal, POC
- Strong and present family supporting the lead girl
- Setting is Australian, non-Eurocentric
- Artwork is warm, Australian colours, shows a range of emotions clearly